About Hospice Care
If you or someone close to you has been referred to hospice or palliative care, you may have questions which this section of our website aims to address.
These pages may also be of interest if you or a loved one has recently been diagnosed with a life-limiting illness, you are wondering what services may be available to you in the future and how to access them.
Typical concerns include:
- What is hospice care?
- Is it the same as palliative care?
- At what point is someone referred to hospice/palliative care, and why?
- Who receives hospice care? Is it available to everyone?
- Who pays for hospice care? Is it expensive?
- How can I get my relative or friend into a hospice? Can the Irish Hospice Foundation help?
- What if there is no hospice in my area? Can I get into a hospice in another part of the country?
- We would like to keep my relative at home for as long as possible, but it is becoming very difficult, what help is available?