Prompts for Good Practice – Just-in-Time Guidance
HANDY-TO-HAVE QUICK GUIDES TO DIFFERENT ASPECTS OF END-OF-LIFE CARE
These guides are quick prompts to good practice in end-of-life care. They are useful for general information on good end-of-life care and particularly intended as just-in-time guidance for health professionals facing challenges in providing good end-of-life care in acute hospitals and residential care settings.
If you like these prompts for good practice and want to know more about any of the issues covered, you might want to consider doing one of our Staff Development workshops.
These leaflets have been incorporated into the HSE's new ward-based resources for healthcare staff, 'Toolbox Talks
They also support the six domains of Palliative Care Competency developed by the HSE's Palliative Care Clinical Care Programme.
(Click the images to open the leaflet in PDF format)
Caring for Yourself in End of Life Care
This two page leaflet covers the following topics:
- Why self-care is important for those working in end-of-life care
- Different dimensions of self and how we can care for ourselves in many ways
- Practical suggestions for how you can care for yourself
Good end of life care for people with dementia This two-page leaflet covers the following topics:
- what makes end of life care for people with dementia different?
- good end of life care for people with dementia
- the role of the multidisciplinary team in meeting the palliative needs of people with dementia
- references and key documents and resources for end of life care for people with dementia
CPR and DNAR This two-page leaflet covers the following topics:
- an explanation of CPR and DNAR (do not attempt resuscitation)
- DNAR decision-making - who is responsible, who has a say
- key messages about CPR (cardio-pulmonary resuscitation)
- recommendations for clinicians to consider when making decisions about DNAR
Care After death This two-page leaflet covers the following topics:
- what happens when someone we love dies
- looking after yourself
Communication with People with Dementia This two-page leaflet covers the following topics:
- why do we communicate
- tips for communicating with people with dementia
- core elements of person centred communication