Acute Hospital Network
About the HFH Acute Hospital Network
The aim of the network is to support End-of-Life Care Committees in acute hospitals to implement the Quality Standards for End-of-Life Care as well as providing an initial contact for those hospitals who are starting to engage with the HFH Programme. The Acute Hospital Network was established in 2010 and today it is a cornerstone of the Hospice Friendly Hospitals (HFH) Programme.
To achieve this aim, the Hospice Friendly Hospitals Programme:
- Hosts three network meetings per year to share information about end-of-life care quality improvements in hospitals. The content of the meetings is based on suggestions from network members. Guest speakers are also invited to present on national initiatives.
- Manages a national contact database which network members can access to seek and share information.
- Issues a quarterly e-newsletter.
The Network has a significant peer support element; evaluation of network meetings consistently highlights the value of coming together in person to share ideas and information.
Members and Chair
Network members include; representatives from over 35 End-of-Life Care Committees in hospitals throughout Ireland, 7 End-of-Life Care Coordinators, representatives from the National Clinical Programme for Palliative Care and the Irish Palliative Medicine Consultants Association.
The Chair of this network is Margaret McKiernan, Director of Nursing, Mercy University Hospital, Cork.
The Vice Chair of the network is Dr Eileen Mannion, Consultant in Palliative Medicine at Galway University Hospital, Roscommon University Hospital and Galway Hospice Foundation.
Margaret McKiernan Eileen Mannion
Acute Network Meetings for 2017
- 14th of March 2017 Venue Ashling Hotel
- 23rd of May 2017 TBC
- 14th of November 2017 Venue Ashling Hotel
Presentations: Acute Network Meeting 15th of November 2016
Presentations from Network Meetings June 2016
Updates from the Irish Hospice Foundation (Marie Lynch)
Irish Hospice Foundation. Education & Training update (Breffni McGuinness)
Applying to the Design & Dignity Grants Scheme Call for grants now open
Advance Care Planning & Advance Healthcare Directives For the videos shown during this presentation visit
Presentations from Network Meetings June 2015
Presentations from Network Meetings March 2015
Presentations from Network Meetings in 2014
November 2014 Meeting
Presentations from the network meeting are available from http://www.slideshare.net/irishhospice
June 2014 Meeting
- HFH Network Agenda 17 June 2014
- Highlights from HFH progress reports June 2014
- End of Life Care Newsletter – Mercy University Hospital – June 2014
- Presentation on Advance Healthcare Directives
- Health Directives – What you need to know.
- Presentation on DNAR Policy
- Design & Dignity 17 June workshop AGENDA
- Dignity by Design – Importance of evidence based design in hospitals
- Design & Dignity – The Mater hospital family room
- Design & Dignity – Mayo hospital family room
- Design & Dignity – The Mercy hospital mortuary
- Design & Dignity – Beaumont hospital mortuary
- Design & Dignity – Applying for a grant
March 2014 Meeting
- HFH Network Agenda 11 March 2014
- Highlights from HFH progress reports March 2014
- Crumlin EOLC Newsletter Quarter 1 2014
- Presentation on post-mortem standards
- Presentation on compassion awards
- Presentation on national consent policy
- Sample text for hospital annual report
- Presentation on fundraising for end of life care in hospitals
- Presentation on results of the Irish national audit of dementia care in acute hospitals
- Update from the National Palliative Care Clinical Care Programme
- Sample text in response to letter from HSE Director General
- Keeping the HFH Network on track-ideas for action