Health / social care professional
What can I do?
If you are a healthcare professional, the Irish Hospice Foundation believes you should:
- Become familiar with and use the HSE National Consent Policy (2013), with particular emphasis on using a functional approach to assessing a person’s capacity to make a particular decision.
- Become familiar with and consider using in your practice the guiding principles as set out in the legislation that include:
- All persons are presumed to have decision-making capacity.
- A person should not be considered as unable to make a decision unless all practicable steps have been taken to help him or her do so.
- Any intervention should minimise restriction of a persons’ rights or freedoms.
- Any intervention should take into account a persons’ beliefs, values, will, and preferences. Read this guidance document for more information.