Communicating with People with Dementia
Helping staff support patients with dementia
We are now offering a workshop to help staff providing care to people with dementia to be able to communicate more effectively.
Who is this workshop for ?
This half-day workshop, provides an opportunity t improve confidence and competence in communicating with people with dementia.
It is suitable for all staff involved in providing care or coming into contact with dementia patients in residential care settings.
The workshop will cover:
- Challenges for staff communicating with people with dementia
- Different approaches to communication when a person has dementia
- Good communication around end-of-life care for people with dementia
- Skills for communicating with someone with dementia
- Self-care for staff who care for people with dementia
At the end of this workshop participants will have:
- An understanding of a palliative approach for people with dementia
- An understanding of the importance of maintaining choice and documenting wishes and preferences of people with dementia
- An understanding of how to communicate with someone with dementia
- An understanding of how to approach relatives and family who may be upset
- An understanding of the importance of self care when working with people with dementia
This workshop is accredited by the Nursing and Midwifery Board of Ireland (Category 1 approval – 3.5 NMBI CEUs)
Type: Interactive presentation
Contact hours: 3.5 hours
Cost: €450 plus standard IHF travel expenses (70c per mile plus cost of an overnight stay if required)
To find out more or to discuss a staff development workshop for your healthcare site, contact email@example.com or fill in the form below.