As you’re completing Think Ahead it’s a good idea to talk through your thoughts and decisions with someone you trust like a friend, partner, relative or healthcare worker.
Choosing someone to speak on your behalf
One of best things you can do is nominate someone to speak on your behalf in case you’re unable to speak for yourself.
- If you can, choose somebody who already knows what your wishes are, so there are no surprises or difficult decisions for others to make should the time come.
- Choose someone who knows you well, who is comfortable having a conversation with you about your end of life care and decisions and who will carry out your wishes and preferences as you have requested.
- Make sure that the person you choose understands what you want to happen, and that key members of your family and friends know you have chosen someone to represent your wishes and preferences.
Let Think Ahead speak on your behalf
- If you don’t have someone you want to speak on your behalf, you may want to discuss your decisions with a healthcare worker such as your GP or public health nurse.
- You can use Think Ahead to express your own wishes and keep it centrally so it can be referred to should it be needed.
- Use the Summary of Medical Decisions to give to your GP so they have your wishes recorded in your medical records.
- You can even record a short video of yourself on your phone talking about them in your own words.
Fill in some or all sections of Think Ahead
- Each section of Think Ahead tells you what you and the person you have nominated to speak on your behalf need to record.