Planning for End of Life
We support, encourage and enable the people of Ireland to plan and talk more confidently about dying and death by ensuring they have access to good quality resources and information.
We supporting discussions and raise awareness about the importance of planning ahead for the care we want to receive at end of life. We ensure that the public have the tools and resources they need to do this. Our Think Ahead Planning Pack contains accessible information and resources that the public can use to plan ahead.
Advance Healthcare Directives
We campaigned for the development and full commencement of the Assisted Decision-Making (Capacity) Act 2015. This legislation sets out the right to have an Advance Healthcare Directive recognised in law and is a key part of the Bill, which we advocated to have included. We continue to advocate for the provisions of the Act as they relate to the development of a Register for Advance Healthcare Directives.
Read more about Advance Healthcare Directives.
Promoting respectful, open and inclusive debate and consultation in Ireland about the issue of assisted dying has been a key focus of our work in recent years. We believe that central to any discussion is respect for the diversity of opinions that exist and that all voices are heard in this debate.
- Read our Statement welcoming the opportunity to appear as a witness before the Joint Committee on Assisted Dying – November 2023
- Read our Opening Statement to the Joint Committee on Assisted Dying – November 2023
- Read our Briefing Document to the Joint Committee on Assisted Dying – November 2023
- Read our Submission to the Joint Oireachtas Committee on Justice on the Dying with Dignity Bill 2020.
- Read our paper on The International Experience of Assisted Dying – April 2023
For queries, contact our Advocacy Manager, Avril Easton, at [email protected].