It’s important to understand that grief is a normal part of experiencing loss. Everyone grieves differently, and most people experiencing grief won’t require more than general support and information. For those who require additional support, resources are available.
You can call our Bereavement Support Line 1800 80 70 77 Monday-Friday 10am-1pm and we can talk through some options.
- If you’ve been bereaved through a hospice or palliative care death, it’s likely a bereavement support service will be available in the hospice. Contact the local hospice or palliative care team.
- If you’ve been bereaved through an acute hospital, the hospital may provide bereavement support. Contact the hospital social work department or chaplaincy service.
- Your general practitioner may also be a good support to you and be aware of other local supports.
- For bereaved families where a child has died, Anam Cara provide peer support for both parents and children and maintain online bereavement support forums. Firstlight provides crisis intervention and free professional counselling services throughout Ireland to bereaved parents and family members who have suddenly lost a child up to 18 years. Also. for the bereaved parents of an infant visit this Irish Pregnancy and loss web site.
- For children and young people who have lost someone close to them, visit Barnardos Children’s Bereavement Service or the Irish Childhood Bereavement Network
- If you have been bereaved through suicide, you can contact Pieta House.
- If you feel you need immediate support, call The Samaritans 24 hour free phone line at 116 123.
- For practical information including what to do following a death, money matters, and counselling visit Citizens Information or pop into your local centre. Find your closest centre.
If you need to speak to a professional these organisations will be able to furnish you with the names of qualified therapists who specialise in issues of loss and grief:
- The Irish Association of Counselling and Psychotherapy (IACP), Tel. 01 2303536.
- The Irish Association of Humanistic and Integrative Psychotherapy, Tel. 01 2841665.
- The Psychological Society of Ireland (PSI), Tel. 01 4720105
The Citizens Information Board provides information on public services and entitlements in Ireland, including this booklet containing information and support for anyone affected by bereavement.