Hospice Friendly Hospitals (HFH) is one of our pioneering programmes. In partnership with the HSE, over 47 hospitals nationwide are now linked with HFH.
It was established in 2007 to introduce a strategic and focused approach to the improvement of end-of-life care (EOLC) in acute hospitals. It takes a multi-level and multi-systems approach to EOLC working with all staff at all levels of the hospital, hospital group and HSE nationally.
This approach is underpinned by the Quality Standards for End-of-Life Care in Hospitals.
Our HFH programme involves:
- coordinating networks for hospital staff to promote improvements in end-of-life care.
- advocating for investment in palliative, end-of-life and bereavement care services at the hospital, hospital group and national level.
- developing and promoting the use of our ceremonial resources for end-of-life care.
- developing and promoting educational supports for all hospital staff, including our Final Journeys workshop.
- coordinating Design & Dignity which is transforming the way hospital spaces are designed.
- providing expert advice and guidance to hospital staff to support the implementation of HFH in their hospital.
- supporting quality improvement in end-of-life care through our HFHQI Awards.
4 National HFH Networks
- The Acute Hospital Network
- The Maternity & Perinatal Network
- The Paediatric Network
- The End-of-Life Care Coordinator Network
The next HFH Acute Network Meeting will take place on 6th July, 2:30 – 4:00pm
Opening: Margaret McKiernan, Chair HfH Acute Network, DON Mercy University Hospital
HSE Employee Assistance Program: Morgan Lucey, Employee Assistance Programme
National End of Life Survey: Donnacha O’ Ceallaigh, National Care Experience Programme, HIQA
Round the Room: End-of-Life Care in your hospital
Health & Wellbeing Tools for Frontline Staff: Dominic Campbell, IHF
NMBI Accredited – 1.5 CEU’s
End-of-Life Care Co-ordinators
The following is a list of hospitals that have an End-of-Life Care Co-ordinator.
- Connolly Hospital
- Beaumont Hospital
- St James’s Hospital
- Mater Misercordiae University Hospital
- Sligo University Hospital
- Cork University Hospital
- University of Limerick Hospital Group
- University Hospital Waterford
- Mayo University Hospital
- St Vincents University Hospital
- Midland’s Regional Hospital Tullamore
- Tallaght university Hospital
- Our Lady of Lourdes Hospital, Drogheda
- Galway University Hospital