Oireachtas hearings and debates
Seanad Éireann, End-of-Life Care and Bereavement April 2014
Proposed by Senator Marie Louise O Donnell,
a members motion on End-of-Life Care and Bereavement was discussed on Wednesday April 16th.
Full transcript of the motion can be accessed HERE
Watch recording HERE
Joint Committee Hearings October / November 2013
Between October 24th
November 2013 the Oireachtas Joint Committee on Health and Children, held a series of public hearings chaired by Jerry Buttimer TD end-of-life care issues in Ireland
. Expert speakers addressed the committee and examined current arrangements for end-of-life care in Ireland and what measures can be taken to ensure that persons of all ages approaching end of life are enabled to die well and with dignity.
Speakers including Irish Hospice Foundation CEO Sharon Foley, addressed issues including; planning for end of life, the role of specialist palliative care, death in hospital, at home and in long-stay residential facilities, children, diversity and bereavement care. Further details are available here.
Irish Hospice Foundation submission to committee - Download HERE
Session 1 October 24 - 'Why is End-Of-Life Care important?'
Full transcript of October 24th - Session 1
Session 2 October 24th - 'What is the role of specialist palliative care?'
Full Transcript October 24th Session 2
>> Watch recording of session 1 & 2 (Via Oireachtas TV)
Session 3 November 5 - 'Dying in the community'
Full Transcript November 5th - Session 3
Session 4 November 7th - 'Children & End-of-life'
Full Transcript November 7th - session 4
>>Watch recording of session 4 & 5 (via Oireachtas TV)
Session 5 November 7th - 'Diversity & Bereavement'
Full Transcript Session 5 - November 7th
Session 6 November 14th - 'Dying in hospital'
Full Transcript Session 6 - November 14th
- Bryan Nolan, Communications & Development coordinator, Irish Hospice Foundation - Opening statement
- Bryan Nolan, submission, staff development & training
- Deirdre Madden, senior lecturer law, UCC - Opening statement
- Kate Bree, Network of Hospice Friendly Hospitals - Opening statement
- Kate Bree, Network of Hospice Friendly Hospitals - Submission
- Joan Kelly, Irish Cancer Society - Opening Statement
- Margaret Naughton, National Association of Healthcare Chaplains (N.A.H.C) - Opening statement
- Prof. Cillian Twomey, retired consultant geriatrician, HSE South - Opening statement
- Prof. Patrick Plunkett, Irish Association for Emergency Medicine & St James's Hospital - Opening statement
- Dr Geoff King, Pre hospital emergency care council - Opening statement