Advance Healthcare Directives
Assisted Decision Making (Capacity) Act 2015
The Assisted Decision Making (Capacity) Act 2015 was passed by the Oireachtas in December, 2015. This Act applies to everyone and has relevance for all health and social care services.
This legislation enables an adult with capacity to make a legally binding Advance Healthcare Directive and refuse any form of treatment up to and including life-sustaining treatment.
This act applies to all and in all health and social care settings.
How can I find out more ?
You can find out more about the act and get answers to questions about the application and implications of the act in THIS FACTSHEET
Discussion on Advance Healthcare Directives
2. See the photographs from our Public Meeting on Advance Healthcare Directives that took place on Thursday, February 27 2014 below:
3. Listen to some of the speakers at our Public Meeting
- Solicitor and Former Law Reform Commissioner, Patricia Rickard-Clarke
- Fine Gael TD, Dr Liam Twomey
- Chief Bioethics Officer with the Department of Health, Dr Siobhán O’Sullivan
- Sharon Foley CEO Irish Hospice Foundation
- The views of those who attended the meeting