Allowances for Carers
Citizens Information provides a general overview on the various allowances and entitlements available for those providing care on an ongoing basis. The Carers Association provides information, advice, guidance and advocacy in this area through its Resource Centres. The Department of Social Protection also provides guidance in this area.
Listed below are a number of allowances available for carers:
- Carer’s Allowance is a means-tested payment to someone caring for an incapacitated person.
- Half-rate Carer’s Allowance is payable with certain other social welfare payments, provided you meet the qualifying criteria.
- Carer’s Benefit is a social insurance payment made to someone who gives up work in order to care for an incapacitated person.
- Respite Care Grant is an annual cash payment to carers, which can be used in what ever way a carer wishes.
- Domiciliary Care Allowance is a monthly payment made to the carer of a child with a severe disability who lives at home.