Posts Tagged ‘Advanced Healthcare Directives’
Research on end-of-life planning shows Irish patients are well able to "Think Ahead"
- 63% reported “no difficulty” completing the form
- 76% completed all or part of the form
- 74% indicated they did not find completing the form to cause upset
- 87% felt that the Think Ahead document should be made more widely available
- 68%indicated they felt “Think Ahead” would be of general interest
- 83% had discussions on end-of-life planning with family members after reading
Matt Cooper talks about Think AheadFor most of us, discussions and signing of Do Not Resuscitate (DNR) orders will only happen once. But Matt Cooper, host of “The Last Word” was faced with the difficult decision of signing DNR consents for both parents. Matt spoke about this experience with Brendan O'Connor on the Saturday Night Show in January 2015. He also referenced the Think Ahead form and encouraged members of the public to plan for end of life situations. Read Matt's story here
Wendy plans for end-of-life with Think AheadWendy Coughlan from Greystones, who has terminal cancer, discusses how she has used the Think Ahead Form. Wendy has used Think Ahead to plan for her end-of-life care with her family. In this video, she and her daughter, Helen, speak openly and passionately about how Think Ahead has helped the entire family on this journey.
Think Ahead - One Family's StoryClick here to listen to Wendy and Helen on The John Murray Show on RTE Radio 1.
Questions and answers on Advance Healthcare DirectivesThis briefing paper answers some of the questions people may have about the Assisted Decision-Making (Capacity) bill and the issue of Advance Care Directives.
"This act provides a legislative policy framework which supports our work to enable people think about what they want for themselves at end of life, primarily through the Think Ahead programme."-- Sharon Foley, CEO of the Irish Hospice Foundation. Advance Healthcare Directives Briefing Paper January 2016
PUBLIC MEETING FEBRUARY 27TH TO DISCUSS DRAFT LEGISLATION TO PROVIDE FOR ADVANCE HEALTHCARE DIRECTIVES
Have your say on advance healthcare directives
The Forum on End of Life in Ireland an initiative of the Irish Hospice Foundation (IHF) will hold a public meeting next week on the Department of Health’s recently published draft legislation to provide for Advance Healthcare Directives.
Chaired by the IHF’s CEO Sharon Foley, there are a number of confirmed speakers for the evening including;
- Dr Liam Twomey, GP and Fine Gael TD who previously introduced a Private Members Bill on Advance Healthcare Directives
- Patricia Rickard-Clarke, Solicitor and former Law Reform Commissioner
- Dr Brendan O’Shea, GP and Lecturer in Trinity College Dublin
- Siobhán O’Sullivan, Chief Bioethics Officer in the Department of Health