Head of Communications
Job Description: HEAD OF COMMUNICATIONS
Reports to: CEO OF THE IRISH HOSPICE FOUNDATION
Overall Job Purpose
The successful candidate will be responsible for creating awareness of IHF’s mission and work through effective communications, PR, marketing, public engagement activities and dissemination of information to the general public, media and health organisations. Reporting to the CEO, s/he will be supported by a team of 3/4 staff, with other staff employed as required, from time to time.
Duties and responsibilities
The core responsibilities for this role are as follows:
- Development and delivery of communication strategies and communication plans for fundraising and for the promotion and advocacy for our programmes;
- Oversight of the communications and information functions;
- Support and development of the public engagement function (which includes the general public, the health and palliative care sector and the political establishment);
- Oversight of the library and information generation; and information management function (with assistance from other areas of the IHF).
Strong communications experience, programme and strategic management are core requirements for this role. The successful candidate will be required to work closely with colleagues within the organization as well as the IHF Board, subcommittees, partners and other key stakeholders to ensure that challenging targets are met, reaching target audiences and new opportunities for partnerships and support are created.
- A minimum of five years in communications and other disciplines such as marketing, health promotion with, ideally, experience at a national level in a similar role;
- Level 8 or higher level degree in a related field;
- Strong communications expertise including:
- Experience in developing and implementing communications programmes;
- Experience in public relations and promotion of fundraising projects;
- Experience in communicating with the media, health and social sectors;
- A core understanding/experience of working across a range of communication, information and IT platforms
- Ability to communicate complex information clearly, both in oral and written form, to a range of audiences;
- A knowledge of marketing and brand building in non-profit environment
- Information analysis and policy appraisal with a demonstrated ability to analyse public policy proposals and research summaries;
- A knowledge of advocacy approaches and the communications input required to make an impact
- Strong organizational and interpersonal skills including:
- Programme and project management experience in team-building
- Extensive experience in staff management; and
- A working knowledge of health promotion approaches to inform the public engagement programme
The salary scale for the post will be commensurate with experience and will reflect the senior management position within the organisation.
This full-time role will be based at the IHF’s offices on Nassau Street, Dublin 2. Salary details are available on application. Please forward your CV (max 2 pages) with a brief covering letter to Mary.Cleary@hospicefoundation.ie by 5 p.m. Friday 27th July 2018.
- Documents should be saved as PDFs.
- Each applicant should submit a covering letter outlining the reasons why they believe they are suitable for this role along with a CV, outlining relevant experience. The letter plus the CV together should not exceed five A4 pages in total. Applicants will be short-listed on the basis of information supplied.
- Late or incomplete applications will not be accepted.
- Should the person recommended for appointment decline, or having accepted it, relinquish it or if an additional vacancy arises IHF may, at its discretion, select and recommend another person for appointment on the results of this selection process
For full job description, click here