PUBLIC ENGAGEMENT OFFICER
Job Description: PUBLIC ENGAGEMENT OFFICER
Reports to: HEAD OF COMMUNICATIONS
Overall Job Purpose
We are seeking a Public Engagement Officer to build even greater awareness and deeper engagement on dying, death and bereavement. Guided by a health promotion framework (Ottawa Charter) this role will focus primarily on two strands of the scheme: public engagement to build personal skills and resilience in the face of dying, death and loss and strengthening community action in response to these.
This pivotal role will lead and support the IHF in the delivery of a public engagement programme which:
1. builds on the People’s Charter on Dying, Death and Bereavement in Ireland, the Forum of End of Life, the Think Ahead and Have Your Say initiatives, bereavement programmes and other aspects of work within the IHF.
2. works in partnership with civic organisations, health and social care services
3. engages with civic society and NGO organisations, with a view to assisting them in understanding the importance end of life and bereavement issues and in supporting their client/target group through their own work.
Duties and responsibilities
1. Complete the IHF draft strategy on public engagement including planning an evaluation component with clear annual measures of success
2. Budget management
1. Lead and support the Public Engagement function to deliver agreed and achievable goals, targets and objectives on NGO/civic and public engagement.
2. Plan and implement a national dissemination and public engagement programme to promote greater discussion on dying death and bereavement as envisaged by the People’s Charter on Dying, Death and Bereavement in Ireland, to include;
- Programme of café conversation training and facilitation and the development of a “how-to” guide for peer mentoring
- Cultivate a National Arts component
- Foster links to local authorities and the Age Friendly Ireland Programme
- Exploration of grants programmes
- Support planning and delivery of the biennial Forum on End-of-Life Conference.
- Partner with healthcare team on the implementation of advanced health care directives and specifically the promotion of Think Ahead.
- Work with the IHF Head of Knowledge and Research and the wider IHF team on public attitudes to dying, death and bereavement.
Participating as part of a high performing team
1. Create powerful messages on end of life including as a social media champion
2. Collaborate on the creation of publications, video, and graphics to support the delivery of the organisation’s goals
3. Liaise with research to understand impact of research findings
4. Provide support in the development of fundraising proposals
- 3rd level qualification in a relevant discipline, ideally at Masters level or above.
- At least 5 years track record in programme development and implementation in the health or social care field.
- Proven experience of building relationships and ability to work constructively in partnership with other groups and organisations
- Strong organisational and administrative skills
- Excellent writing and communication skills, including the use of social media.
- Strong presentational skills and ability to promote the charity to a wide range of individuals and external audiences.
- Knowledge and experience of with working with NGOs and in engaging with the public.
- An interest in and understanding of a health promotion approach toward palliative, end-of-life and bereavement care and IHF’s work such as Think Ahead and the People’s Charter on Dying, Death and Bereavement in Ireland.
- Relevant disciplines such as health promotion, public affairs, healthcare programme management, community development or health care.
- Experience in the management of a similar public engagement function
- Strong diplomatic and negotiation skills
- Strategic outlook on the future of the organisation
- Committed to the vision, mission and values of the charity.
- Energetic and enthusiastic self-starter with a high degree of personal drive and initiative.
- Capacity to manage uncertainty and ability to be agile.
- Excellent team player
- Passionate about making a difference to help Ireland live well, die well and grieve well