Many people have experienced and will experience the death of someone close during the COVID-19 pandemic. It may have been a COVID-related death or a death from other causes. People may also be finding a previous bereavement more difficult at this time.
In the face of such loss, our Bereavement Support Line, in partnership with the HSE, is there to provide connection, comfort and support in these exceptional times.
COVID-19 restrictions have changed the traditional ways we mark our grief. For the moment, it’s still not possible to come together like we did before. This means many people continue to face bereavement in isolation.
What is it?
It is a national freephone service 1800 80 70 77 available from 10am to 1pm, Monday to Friday.
- We aim to provide a confidential space for people to speak about their experience or to ask questions relating to the death of someone during the COVID-19 pandemic or a previous bereavement that feels more difficult at this time.
- We will listen to what a person says about what has happened.
- We will do our best to provide comfort and emotional support.
- We will provide any information that might help the caller, including information on practical supports.
- We will provide support for employers or professionals who want to inform the care their organisation can offer to bereaved colleagues.
The service is confidential. What you tell us will not be shared except in certain circumstances where, for safeguarding reasons, we may need to share your information with the emergency services. On the call, we might ask your first name, because it’s a natural question to ask in a conversation, but you don’t have to tell us if you prefer not to.
Visit our FAQ section here
Can you help spread the word?
We would like as many people as possible in Ireland to know about this new free service. We have prepared a Bereavement Support Line information pack a shorter one-page information sheet, an A4 poster which you can dowload and print out and a promotional assets page with resources and graphics for web and social media. Please feel free to view/download/share/print/forward these documents and graphics. Thank you.
In response to COVID-19, we have set up our Care & Inform hub which includes a series of resources on grief and loss to support those bereaved in these difficult times.
Please help Irish Hospice Foundation to continue to support those facing end of life at this unprecedented time of need. Text IHF to 50300 to donate €4. Text costs €4. Irish Hospice Foundation will receive a minimum of €3.60. Service Provider: LIKECHARITY. Helpline: 076 6805278.